Concrete is a highly functional flooring option, but at the same time, it is also prone to damage, cracking, and deterioration. No matter how strong and sturdy concrete is, with time, it becomes weak and can also get damaged. Time is of course one factor that affects the efficiency of the floor. Other factors such as compromising on the quality of accelerants, retarders, etc., can also lead to a weak floor. To ensure your garage floor is well installed, contact professionals at Tuff Build, the best epoxy flooring service provider in Melbourne.
Tuff Build floor installers do not only transform your space but also help in sealing your garage floor.
In this blog, we will tell you the steps that can be taken to seal the garage floor.
Why Seal the Floor?
Sealing the floor helps in improving its durability, strength, appearance and longevity. However, there are many factors that you must consider when deciding to seal a garage floor.
Sealing your concrete garage floor will protect it from being damaged by any;
- Wear and tear
The protection is mostly limited to using light chemicals. If anything, heavy or not so typical for the area, is being coated, then that should be discussed so that an appropriate system can be recommended.
Deciding to seal a garage floor will prove to be a sound decision. The next decision you would want to take is about the type of sealant and the results you would want from it.
Types of Concrete Sealants
There are two major sealants for concrete garage floors.
- Penetrating i.e., densifying sealers — This sealer is used extensively by concrete polishers for solidifying the concrete before they start the process of polishing.
- Topical sealers
Both sealers are good but will deliver different results. Read here to know the types of concrete sealers. (Add a link to the blog – Different Types of Sealers for Concrete)
Penetrating sealers make the concrete dense only by penetrating the pores of the concrete. It also creates a protective bond through a chemical reaction by using minerals in the concrete. This creates a barrier at the subsurface which does not leave any coating on the surface of the concrete.
A garage floor that is coated with a penetrating sealer leaves a surface that is water-repellent but is not waterproof. As long as the spilled fluid is cleaned properly, the surface should not stain, but if the surface is left untouched, sitting as it is for too long then it might stain.
Types of Penetrating Sealers are as follows:
Topical sealers create a coating on the top of the concrete just by sticking to it. The topical sealer creates a protective, hard, and durable layer over the concrete which delivers a high-level of protection against stains and abrasions. The topical sealer also allows for a decorative coating such as a flake finish, or coloured finish.
Benefits of Topical Sealer
This sealer is:
- Easy to clean
- Higher durability even though naturally it depends on the quality of the coating.
Types of Topical Sealers are as follows:
- Epoxy resin
Which Sealer is the Best?
If you are looking forward to sealing a garage floor, choose the one that will not only look good but will also bring the best results once the sealing is done.
The biggest benefits of a topical sealant such as epoxy resins are as follows:
- Protective with a hard coating. It prevents moisture and liquid from seeping into the concrete.
- Highly durable and resistant to abrasions even when you accidentally drop something.
- UV stable – Just keep in mind that the level of protection will rely on the chosen project. You might also opt for providing UV protection for an area.
- Easy-to-maintain and clean – You can clean it with a mop and any detergent. The slip-rated areas and commercial projects might require something more practical like an auto scrubber.
- Long lasting – Lifespan of the floor will also depend on how you treat it. So, caring for the floor is also vital.
- Provides a decorative flake or coloured finish.
When you choose the product, you would want to seal the garbage with it, talk to the expert because a professional will help you choose the best for you.
Garage floors should be highly functional, require low maintenance, and should be designed to stand the test of time. With a high-quality epoxy resin coating on the floor, you will get to seal the garage floor.
Here at Tuff Build, we take pride in ourselves for being epoxy flooring coating experts in Melbourne. We want you to have the best finish possible- A finish that is robust, cost-effective, and looks great for years to come. Get in touch with us today. We are here to help you.